Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Carnatic Music's Women-Pioneers In Australia: 'Her Inner Song'

As my grandmother and I age, I find myself more curious about her past. My grandmother, Bhagirathi Narasimhan is a self-taught veena artist, who rose to become a well-known musician in India and an All-India Radio artist. Her stories of the challenges she faced, as well as her joy from this "gift of God" made me wonder how women transitioned from behind the walls of the home on to the stage.

After a year of consideration, I have begun the process of documenting the stories of 80-something and 90-something year old women in Australia, who have a more-than-passing commitment to Carnatic music. It could just give us women, who are born or raised in Australia, a glimpse into our community's history, as recounted by the lived experience of extraordinary, ordinary, women musicians and artists.

'Her Inner Song', the project is named.

Discovering the quiet stories in the community, of women who dreamed, accomplished, and many times, lost something, I spoke to a number of women, whose stories and experiences shape "Her Inner Song" - Bhuvaneswari Venkataraman, Swarnam Naganathan, Rajalakshmi Venkatachari, Ganga Ranganath, and Bhagirathi Narasimhan.



If you'd like to join the journey - help with the filming, editing, online platforms, community engagement, events, rope in your grandmother - get in touch.







No comments:

Post a Comment